Many of cosmetic skin clinic clients ask us for advice on the best way to prepare for their cosmetic filler and anti-wrinkle injection treatments. They want to know the best way they can plan for optimal results.
This is smart. Planning your pre and post cosmetic treatment routine can help eliminate any short-term side effects and have a positive impact on any side effects such as swelling and bruising.
Follow our best tips for before, during and after your cosmetic injection procedure to avoid these symptoms enjoy the benefits of gorgeous smooth skin.
Before the Procedure
- Make sure you take advantage of your consultation. Use your consultation to discuss all of your skin concerns and expectations, plus tell us about any medication you are currently taking, especially if it is a blood thinner medication.
- Minimise the risk of bruising by following your doctor’s pre-treatment instructions and advice to the letter.
- In the days leading up to your cosmetic treatment, keep hydrated.
- To minimize the chance of bruising from the filler injection, do not take any aspirin, ibuprofen or similar products (Advil, Nurofen) or St. John’s Wort for 2 weeks prior to your cosmetic injection. These are known to increase bruising and may interact with the injectable.
- For pain relief use panadol.
- Avoid fish oil, Vitamin E, and gingko biloba for 2 weeks prior; these supplements are also known to increase bruising and bruising.
- Some patients like to use Arnica, which may be taken as a tablet in the days before and after their treatment. This may help with bruising and swelling.
- If you are a smoker, know that this will increase your chances of bruising.
On the day of your Procedure
- For longer and more intense treatments, for example if you are receiving a non-surgical nose job, numerous cosmetic treatments at once, try to eat beforehand.
- Keep up the hydration. It is a good idea to bring water with you.
- Tell us if you are feeling unwell or uncomfortable at any time.
- If it is your first cosmetic treatment, and you are unsure how your skin will react, arrange for a family member or friend to take you, just in case.
- Many of our clients who receive cosmetic fillers like to go home after their appointments and relax with an ice-pack to avoid swelling and bruising.
- For clients returning to work, bring makeup with you. Because the treatment area is wiped with disinfectant wipes, you will likely want to reapply makeup to these areas.
- It is okay to wear sunscreen and makeup the day of your cosmetic injection, however try to limit your makeup to avoid irritating the injection site.
Recovering from Cosmetic Procedures
- To ensure a fast recovery after any cosmetic treatment strictly follow post-treatment instructions.
- Use ice or a cold gel pack to relieve swelling and soreness for as long as needed.
- Continue your skincare regime, however leave off the Retin-A or strong retinol creams for at least one day.
- Also continue to avoid the aspirin and ibuprofen for another two days. Treat any pain with panadol.
- Staying hydrated helps recovery. Keep drinking water and avoid alcohol.
- Take a break from exercising from at least 24 hours. While you may resume swimming, do not wear goggles for two weeks after cosmetic fillers around the eyes and cheeks, and do not take a hot yoga class or do inversions in yoga for least 48 hours.
- Think about your activities in the days after your cosmetic treatment, and especially avoid hot and humid conditions.
- Do not have a facial or facial massage for at least 48 hours, and if within the first week tell your therapist.
- Don’t massage the area for at least two weeks. This could compromise your result. This includes having a face down massage (putting your face in a massage cradle).
- Do not put pressure on your injection site (i.e. massage, pinch or squeeze) for at least a day
- Do not undertake facial laser treatment for at least two weeks after any cosmetic injections
- Never try to smooth any bumps or unevenness on your own. Contact us first.
Plan your Cosmetic Injections
- Remember, any types cosmetic injections may take up to about 3 – 4 weeks to truly settle and look their best, and even the best cosmetic fillers may bruise and swell.
- It is a mistake to book in for cosmetic enhancement and expect immediate results, or to make any important social plans for the first week after your cosmetic treatment.
- For clients obtaining anti-wrinkle injections, in general results appear about 3-5 days with final results apparent after 2-3 weeks.
- For clients obtaining fillers, the ideal timeframe is at least 10 days before a big occasion.
Keep in mind these simple tips to benefit from your cosmetic procedure. They will have your skin looking great in no time at all. And remember, our experienced team are always on hand to answer your questions about your dermal filler injections or anti-wrinkle treatments. Talk to us today about how these anti-ageing cosmetic injectables can improve the quality of your skin.